- 1 and 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 T garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cardamom seed
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
Rinse rice in 3 - 4 changes of water, drain, add 2 cups of water, set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add spices and crackle (sizzle) 1 minute being careful not to burn. Add vegetables, rice and water, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serves 4.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups preserved mango or 2 fresh mangos, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
Blend all ingredients in a blender and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Tip: Mango preserved in glass jars tastes fresher than mango preserved in tins.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chopped mint leaves for garnish
Mix together first 4 ingredients. Sprinkle paprika and chopped mint leaves over the surface for garnish. Served chilled.
Tip: If fresh mint leaves are unavailable, substitute with dry mint herbal tea. Be certain the only ingredient is mint. Use 1 tsp of dry mint in place of 1 Tbsp fresh mint.